As it is world book day, and I am a huge book worm, it only seemed appropriate that I have a book related post for you today. So, I thought I'd give you the low down on what I have read so far this year...


Pretty Little Liars by Sara Sheppard:

Honestly, I was a little disappointed by this book. The storyline pretty much lines up exactly with the TV series (obviously as the series was based on the book), apart for the odd few changed which are just a little irritating, for example in the book Emily has a sister. I loved watching Pretty Little Liars, but in the book, the storyline just didn't seem quite so exciting - possibly because I'd already watched the series. I also found the narrator a tad irritating and I'm not sure why. I sadly didn't love this book, so I've only rated it 2 stars.


You Know Me Well by Nina Lacour and David Levithan:

This book is written in the two different perspectives, the perspective of Mark who is madly in love with his best friend Ryan, but hasn't worked up the nerve to tell him how he feels, and then Kate whose nerves always get in her way. Kate has fallen in love with a girl who she's known through a friend and has been talking to online. Although Kate and Mark have sat next to each all year, they don't talk until they end up at the same bar where Mark is hurting because Ryan has met somebody else, and Kates's nerves had to lead her there, as she runs away from meeting Violet for the first time. Kate and Mark become friends, and the story continues developing both Kate and Marks friendship which each other, and their romantic relationships. I really loved how this book dealt with friendship as well as romantic relationships, gay relationships, and the feeling we aren't enough. I enjoyed this story, but didn't love it - I liked the characters, but the narrative wasn't that impressive, and I found it to be a little forgettable. I rated this one 3 stars.


Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella:

Audrey is a teen who suffers from major anxieties, and mental health issues. This book revolves around Audrey coping with her problems and the impact they have on her family. There is also an underlying romance in the story which I like. Personally, I found the character of Audrey's mum really irritating. However, I did love Linus' character. I really enjoyed seeing Audrey's character develop through the book, she becomes more self-aware and she begins realises how she is impacting the people around her which is interesting to see. I think the book did a great job of explaining how when recovering from the traumatic event and coping with mental health issues, it's not just straight-up - there will be bumps in the road. This book gets a 3 and a half star rating from me.


A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard:

I've written a full review of this book, which you can find here, so I'm just going to touch on it in this post. Steffi is a selective mute due to severe anxieties, and Rhys is death - when they meet they connect through their abilities to communicate with each other in sign language. They fall in love, and the book is about how they develop as individuals and together. I've rated this book 4 stars.


After You by Jojo Moyes:

After You is the sequel to Me Before You - I didn't really have high hopes for this books as I find sequels are often disappointing, however, I was pleasantly surprised. This book has a fab storyline. Some new characters are introduced which keep things interesting. I love Lily character, I think in nice to have a teenage character in the book, and her character is very well written. The book not only deals with Lou grieving after the loss of Will, but also her new life, relationship, and the future. Although there was one part of this book I thought was quite unrealistic, I loved the narrative. There's a lot happening, some things which are happening we are unaware of, until later in the story when it switches from Lou's perspective to Lily's.  The character dynamics in the book work well. I also really loved the end of this book.  This book gets 4 stars from me.


Nina is not ok by Shappi Khorsandi:

This book is about a 17/18-year-old girl called Nina who has a drinking problem. I found this book to be quite intense. It seems they are chunks of the story missing, as it is written in Nina perspective and, she cannot always remember what has happened when she's been drunk. I found this book really interesting. I really disliked Alex character, which I'm sure most people will - I also disliked Zoe's character but I think it was very important she was part of the story. The book is about Nina recovery, and her dealing with traumatic things which have happened to her. I think it's really interesting to see how Nina's character develops through the book, and read a book which is written about alcohol addiction in a younger person. In the book, you hear Nina's friends telling her not to worry because everyone's done things they regret when they've been drunk - which made me really think about how alcohol abuse in normalised amongst young people. There is, of course, a lot more to the storyline than simple Nina dealing with her alcohol abuse, and as I said it's intense. I'm not sure enjoyed is the right word to use, but I think this book is very clever and was written very well, and it's very eye-opening. It may be a tiger if you've had alcohol problems, though!



I hope that all made sense! It's always hard to get a balance when writing about a book, as I do not want to give too much of the story away, but I also need to tell you enough about it!

What have you been reading recently?

Love,
C x